Babywearing beginnings with the Papoozle baby carrier: A review
For us, babywearing has been a solution in the mechanics of transporting a toddler and a newborn. During my pregnancy with L, I had already decided that I was going to see how we would cope without having a double pram. With NOM being 2 we knew she would still find walking long distances a struggle therefore we thought whether carrying L while he was small would give enough time for NOM to develop her endurance when walking. Cue me researching all the possibilities of how this would be feasible and what carriers would suit us best (see my post here).
There are a whole array of different carriers for successful and safe babywearing – whether you like to wrap, use buckles or tie, there’s a carrier to suit taste, purpose and age of baby. I had already decided that I was going to try a stretch wrap carrier as my first try at babywearing and with this I purchased a Triclot-Slen sling. After watching many a youtube video of how to safely wrap and referring to the T.I.C.K.S guidelines for safe babywearing, I managed (with many attempts) to successfully use it with L although I found it very time consuming and not easy to get correct when out and about. That’s when my sister Danni over at itstartedwithasquish recommended trying the Papoozle.
The design of the Papoozle is very similar to a normal stretch wrap but the ingenious thing about it is the supportive adjustable waistband and the soft padded lining on the wide shoulder straps to that help with weight distribution and support when wearing your baby. The carrier is available in three different colours; black, teal and stone which are lovely neutral colours that can be used for any sex baby by both mum and dad. It can also be machine washed at 30 degrees (but not tumble dried) and is guaranteed for 2 years from the date of purchase.
Babywearing with the Papoozle
For me, I was so surprised with how easy and quickly I was able to successfully put the Papoozle on (I could wrap without a demonstration video after a handful of tries). This for me was the one of the key things that made me fall in love with the carrier. Apart from how comfy and supportive it felt due to the waistband and padded straps, arranging the Papoozle for use with L was so simple that it made transporting him so much easier, especially when we had NOM.
To show you just how simple, I’ve done a demonstration video below (please be nice to me as it’s one of my first vlogs!) of the most common facing in wrap position but the Papoozle website have some great videos to watch that show you the carry for when breastfeeding, and a hip carry for when baby gets older and heavier.
I’ve used the Papoozle baby carrier for many different outings (just with the facing in carry position) which have varyied in the time lengths I carried L. The longest being when we had a trip to the zoo and it was really comfy and L promptly fell asleep. I mainly use it to nip to the shops, going to the supermarket and around the house as L is a very clingy baby and it helps keep my hands free to get other jobs done. I was that impressed with the papoozle baby carrier that I bought another (one of their older designs) after seeing it online. It has a gorgeous purple and black stars pattern and I get many compliments from others when wearing it. Babywearing also has many benefits for both mum and baby;
Your baby will cry less
It will help promote a closer bond between you and baby
It helps relieve symptoms of colic
It will keep your hands free, allowing you to get on with other things
I just wanted to highlight some key safety rules when babywearing. No matter what baby carrier you are using, babywearers (whether a beginner or not) should always refer to the T.I.C.K.S. guidelines in order to make sure baby is safe and secure:
– The Papoozle baby carrier can be purchased for £49.99 (plus and additional £4.95 for postage to the UK).
– It is available in 3 neutral colours and is fully guaranteed for 24 months (2 years) from date of purchase.
– It has padded straps to increase comfort for both the person babywearing and the baby.
– It has a thick padded adjustable waistband to give good support when carrying, and to aid in making wrapping simpler and quicker.
– It is a one size fits all design (I am a size 18 and there is plenty more fabric and room to adjust the waistband for larger sizes than this).
– It is suitable from birth to 35lbs but I think this is dependent on the user and what weight they find comfortable in carrying as you may find that your weight tolerance when using the Papoozle may come before the 35lb mark.
– It is manufactured in the UK to BSEN 13209-2:2005 Safety Standards.
– It can be washed at 30 degrees but only line dried.
– You can achieve 3 different wearing positions with the Papoozle; facing in, hip and one when breastfeeding (although I’ve only attempted the facing in carry as L is too small for the hip carry just yet).
– You may find using the wrap warm in the summer months but this is dependent on how tolerant you are with heat and is much the same issue with all stretch wraps due to the types of material needed to make them.
I have loved reviewing the Papoozle baby carrier and will continue to use it until I find it uncomfortable for both L and I to use anymore, but it has given us a great start into babywearing!
If you want to find out more about the Papoozle baby carrier then please feel free to visit their website or contact them via their social media pages via the links below:
*Please note, that in order for me to complete this review, I was sent a Black Papoozle Baby Carrier free of charge, but all my comments and views are my own*